Home Guilds Contact

Author Topic: Marak's Game Reviews and Previews  (Read 653 times)

April 29, 2013, 11:42:58 AM

Offline Marak

• World of Warcraft
  • Guild Master
  • Level 4 Poster
  • Professional Smartass
    • Primary Game

• Awards A member with technical expertise.
I hate cluttering up the General section with posts like this, so I'm going to stick this here. This is a thread where I'll be posting my exceptionally bias reviews on games I've played or plan to play in the future.

First up, Bioshock Infinite.
http://www.bioshockinfinite.com/?RET=&ag=true

After all the hype over the past year and more, I didn't think this game was going to live up to it's reputation. Yeah, I was wrong. I never finished the first Bioshock because the the story forced such a disconnect between the player and the characters in the game world that I lost interest. Bioshock Infinte is the opposite. Not only did I finish this game, but I was sad there wasn't more. The story is fantastic, and will keep you guessing. There will be some unanswered questions, so make your peace with that going in. Perhaps some future DLC....

So what else can I tell you without giving away the story? The game has a very original feel to it. I was skeptical that a "flying city" was going to be as interesting as the original Bioshock's underwater one. In the same way that underwater "Rapture" was damp, cramped, and claustrophobic, "Columbia" is airy, wide open, bright and colorful. The entire game's art is done very well. I was especially impressed by Elizabeth, your companion. Her art and animation really sold the story. Not since Half Life2's Alex Vance have I seen so many facial expressions and response to environment. There's a couple of times when the the story takes a hard right turn, and the art really shines here. One minute your watching "Gangs of New York", and the next it's suddenly become "Silent Hill." Though if you really want to make a movie comparison, I'd have to go with "Inception." That's all I'm going to tell you. Any more and I'd be doing you and the game a disservice. Buy it now or wait for it to go on sale, but this is one of those games you really need to try.   
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 04:20:04 AM by Marak »
- Marak / Greebo / Cavindra / IzzyTheFool

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die".

April 29, 2013, 07:00:19 PM
Reply #1

Offline Agrim

• Guild Member
  • Level 3 Poster
    • Primary Game

Nice review.

Definitely going to pick this one up at some point.  It's on "the list"