Home Guilds Contact

Author Topic: New Disconnection Problems  (Read 539 times)

December 14, 2011, 10:36:08 PM

Offline Ayripht

• Guild Member
  • Level 1 Poster
  • "Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"
    • Primary Game

I'm going to try to explain this the best I can, so bare with me.

I have had no disconnection problems at all in about a year.  However, earlier today our modem got reset.  Because of this I had to be on the phone with dern ATT Tech Support for over an hour.  In the end I was able to connect to the internet once again, but not WoW. 

Now, I had this happen last year and I put a post up on the site (this site) about it and someone (can't remember who) told me something to do about changing some numbers (and or letters) around to a different setting and it worked.  This had to do with my internet connection, not WoW itself. 

I did already delete all folders though, just to try that and it did nothing.  So it's something with the connection, I just can't figure out what.  Any help would be awesome, then again that's if anyone can even understand what I just put.  lol  I barely understand myself.
"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."  ~ Jayne, Firefly

December 15, 2011, 08:15:55 AM
Reply #1

Offline Laz

• Administrator
  • Level 3 Poster
    • Primary Game

• Awards A member with technical expertise.
first of all couple questions

1. what kind of a configuration do you have
- are you using a cable modem into a router which splits to multiple PC's or do you have a direct plugin from the modem to your PC

2. do any other client/server applications besides wow have trouble, such as any other games, an FTP ect...
- if this is the case you may simply have a port forwarding issue if you use a router over multiple computers. You would have to make sure the data is being transmitted to the right computer or you could set your computer to the DMZ (this drops your routers firewall on that computer and makes it the default computer to receive data packets) (I would not recommend leaving this on but it would be useful just to test if it worked)

3. if your using a router have you tried a direct connection to the cable modem to see if the problem persists
- if not the problem is narrowed to the router, a factory reset may be in order on the router if you can't solve the issue with port forwarding.

Well start with that and go from there I'll be on vent for a while this morning if you happen to be on.

December 15, 2011, 08:38:23 AM
Reply #2

Offline Ayripht

• Guild Member
  • Level 1 Poster
  • "Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"
    • Primary Game

Ok, so when it comes to networking I give myself 4 thumbs down.  lol  I will try my best to answer the questions.

We have DSL.  Our 2WIRE modem is set up in our kitchen (approximately 9-11 feet away from our desktop computer).  The kitchen is the only room in the house with a phone jack direction in the wall, therefore we have to leave it there.  So we have always run off of a wireless connection since we've lived here.

We only run off of this one main computer (occasionally the laptop too if the hubby logs into WoW while I'm on the desktop).  As for trying another game, I don't have another game that needs internet connection. 

Last night I was able to run the modem out to the computer for a direct connection with the ethernet cable.  I did this while I was on the phone with ATT Tech Support as they were resetting the modem.  After this I was unable to connect to anything (Internet, WoW, Curse Client, Steam, etc...) through a wireless connection.  Thankfully I was able to eventually make that connection by changing some information around on my computer and with our wireless adapter (I guess that's what you call it - NETGEAR).  It's the thing I have plugged into a USB port on the computer to pick up available connections.  It was picking up that we could have the connection but it was actually connecting at first.

I can go onto this site (it's just a bunch of numbers) that ATT gave me and it allows me to look at my connection info and more.  {System, Broadband Link, Home Network, Firewall, etc...}  So I can change stuff there if I need to.

Also, I would love to chat on vent!!  But I woke up sick and can barely talk at all and my head is stuffy I can barely hear myself think.  If that's even possible.  haha
"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."  ~ Jayne, Firefly

January 13, 2019, 06:06:07 AM
Reply #3

Offline Warnerbuita

• Level 1 Poster
    • Primary Game

Here's where you can post about any issues you are having with our new discussion board.