Home Guilds Contact

Author Topic: Guild Wars 2 - Who's playing?  (Read 2931 times)

July 18, 2012, 09:21:44 PM
Reply #15

Offline Cuendae

• Officer
  • Level 1 Poster
    • Primary Game

If your going to wipe, make it spectacular :)

July 20, 2012, 12:14:48 PM
Reply #16

Offline Jazrael

• Rift Runners
  • Officer
  • Level 3 Poster
    • Primary Game

• Awards This title is earned by people who have done their part to further create and enhance the lore of the game for themselves and other players as well. Often in the forms of Roleplaying or Writing Fiction.
This is the last GW2 beta weekend before the launch on 8/28.   We'll be trying out more pvp this weekend and looking into guild perks. 

Does anyone have any questions about the game?  Feel free to ask and we can try to find the answers.  ;) 

The GW2 Roleplaying "hub" has set up an event for tomorrow.. the Keg Brawl mini game.

http://guildwars2roleplayers.com/events

July 24, 2012, 09:42:01 AM
Reply #17

Offline arabeth

• Guild Member
  • Level 3 Poster
    • Primary Game

i'm thinking of picking this game up now as well!  it really looks cool.

since server transfers cost $22.50 (but at least your entire roster goes with you from what i understand), do we have a plan for where we're going to try to start?  TOR actually did a great job of helping guilds all start on the same server and now that seems like the gold standard way of doing things.  there's also "guesting" but i wonder if that would apply to being a guild?  i have no idea how this stuff all works - wheeeee dynamic quest content!  /swoon

ps.  you can calculate "cost in $$" from total gem cost by multiplying gem cost by .0125.  so 150 gems = $1.88 (rounded), and 1800 gems = $22.50.  that's assuming the 800 gems => $10 ratio i saw on the official wiki; subject to change, i'm sure.

July 24, 2012, 10:04:30 AM
Reply #18

Offline Jazrael

• Rift Runners
  • Officer
  • Level 3 Poster
    • Primary Game

• Awards This title is earned by people who have done their part to further create and enhance the lore of the game for themselves and other players as well. Often in the forms of Roleplaying or Writing Fiction.
We've picked the Tarnished Coast server so far.  There was a concern about WvW being unbalanced, but I have since learned from the GW2 Wiki:

Worlds in WvW are matched up based on their ranking using a modified Glicko rating,[4] so that high-ranked worlds will battle other high-ranked worlds, and low-ranked worlds will battle other low-ranked worlds. This ensures that every world has a fair chance of winning matches despite differing levels of player participation or skill.[5]

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Wvw

So, unless there is a serious issue with that server, we won't have to change.

Also, you never have to buy gems or any gear with real money.  You can get gems with in-game currency that enables you to buy everything from the market.

July 25, 2012, 01:39:55 AM
Reply #19

Offline Marak

• World of Warcraft
  • Guild Master
  • Level 4 Poster
  • Professional Smartass
    • Primary Game

• Awards A member with technical expertise.
What kind of sever is tarnished coast?
- Marak / Greebo / Cavindra / IzzyTheFool

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die".

July 25, 2012, 07:20:53 AM
Reply #20

Offline Jazrael

• Rift Runners
  • Officer
  • Level 3 Poster
    • Primary Game

So far all of the servers in GW2 are the same, there are no dedicated pvp, pve, rp servers. There are North American servers, European, French, German and Spanish.

July 25, 2012, 02:18:44 PM
Reply #21

Offline arabeth

• Guild Member
  • Level 3 Poster
    • Primary Game

awesome!  thanks for the constant stream of info, jaz!

re: no dedicated PVP, PVE, RP servers - very interesting.  i'm guessing that they're trying to remove the need for PVP vs. PVE servers by just making everyone able to do everything at any time that they'd like, without forcing choices on people.

personally, i think the whole "server type" thing is really more about typical MMO playstyle than anything else.  PVP servers should really be called "i love being ganked and corpse camped!" while PVE servers are "i don't like it quite as much."  RP servers are basically, "i'd rather play with a bunch of ERP doofballs than to see one more asshole named lolbutsecks."

considering their marketing copy is all about bucking MMO tropes it would be cool if they honestly made it so that people didn't have to pick their poison but could just enjoy the game.  and after 50 levels if you decide you'd rather not get ganked every time you walk outside...  you don't have to pay $22.50 to do it!

re:  gold for gems - i'm guessing the market price for what is basically a real money transaction will still be steep.  it's nice that it's possible, though.  i wonder if they'll go all D3 and do it the other way:  you can trade gold for $?

July 25, 2012, 03:45:22 PM
Reply #22

Offline Jazrael

• Rift Runners
  • Officer
  • Level 3 Poster
    • Primary Game

re:  gold for gems - i'm guessing the market price for what is basically a real money transaction will still be steep.  it's nice that it's possible, though.  i wonder if they'll go all D3 and do it the other way:  you can trade gold for $?

I don't believe you can trade in-game currency for real money.    And since you can use in-game currency for gems, I don't see this as a real money transaction.  In beta you could buy 1 gem for 1 silver, which was pretty easy to earn.

July 30, 2012, 02:49:45 PM
Reply #23

Offline arabeth

• Guild Member
  • Level 3 Poster
    • Primary Game

What kind of sever is tarnished coast?

found this (also found it again through jaz's event link above):
http://www.gw2guilds.org/

if you browse servers you can see how several folks have decided to go.  tarnished coast is clearly an RP-heavy server, at least according to this list:  most servers have one or two RP guilds listed and it has a ton, with several other types of guilds as well.  seems like it will likely be a popular server, which could be good (for WvW) or bad (queue times).

so, cuendae, is there a new name for the guild, or will it be BWS or something again?  :)

July 30, 2012, 09:18:47 PM
Reply #24

Offline Jazrael

• Rift Runners
  • Officer
  • Level 3 Poster
    • Primary Game

They were estimating 500 people per server would be in WvW pvp with a total of 2000 on the maps.   I think there will be plenty of room  :)

While there are some rp guilds planning on being on Tarnished Coast, each guild is different.   There might be a handful that are considered "heavy rp".   I'm hopeful those of us that want to participate in the rp community events and form alliances will be pleasantly surprised and not disappointed.   

I'm sure there will be a nice mix of player styles on every server, so everyone in the guild can find some new friends to join us in whatever events we plan. 

We'll be having a WvW once a week at a regularly scheduled night. 

The Blackwater Seawolves name will fit nicely into the game.  I think in GW2 you only see the initials of your guild.. so we'll be BWS.   

Cuendae had hoped to post more information by now, but sadly he's been working over 14 hours a day this week.. I hope they get it finished soon. :(

August 20, 2012, 08:04:05 AM
Reply #25

Offline arabeth

• Guild Member
  • Level 3 Poster
    • Primary Game

i know there are only a few days to go but would you like me to post us on gw2guilds.org?

August 20, 2012, 08:21:01 AM
Reply #26

Offline Jazrael

• Rift Runners
  • Officer
  • Level 3 Poster
    • Primary Game

Thanks for offering, but we won't need to post to get recruits.  That's the only reason I see as posting at this point.   I don't want to have to turn away people this early in the game.   Rev is going to post more information about the guild and adding members soon.

August 21, 2012, 10:18:04 AM
Reply #27

Offline arabeth

• Guild Member
  • Level 3 Poster
    • Primary Game

Long have I stood in the shadows and watched as countless others strode forth and assumed the mantel of authority.  The time has come for me to step forward and herd the cats.  Barring any objections I am throwing my hat in the ring and will step up to the task and be come *dun dun dah*  the GM for GW2.   This will come at a cost for all those who would follow, there is no question of that.  So I ask of you, who is with me?

Cuendae/Revlan/Rev/etc
i think the guild leader should be required to own a pirate captain's outfit:)  (maybe we can take up a collection...)

August 21, 2012, 05:26:55 PM
Reply #28

Offline TheSnork

• Officer
  • Level 3 Poster
  • Sponges... I needs em!
    • Primary Game

• Awards A member of the guild who has been around for a very very long time.
Still undecided...