Home Guilds Contact

Author Topic: for those who beta'd  (Read 311 times)

July 30, 2012, 08:52:05 AM

Offline arabeth

• Guild Member
  • Level 3 Poster
    • Primary Game

how similar is GW2 to the original GW?  i started a free trial of GW (you get to play for 10 hrs) and i'm about 3 hrs in and - well, it's clearly a seven-year-old game.  it's got some great advancements but it's still a bit tricky to navigate.  just wondered how similar they were or if the GW2 world was a bit more user-friendly.

July 30, 2012, 09:06:53 AM
Reply #1

Offline Agrim

• Guild Member
  • Level 3 Poster
    • Primary Game

Only played GW1 years ago when it was in Beta, so can't really comment on personal experience.

There are some discussion threads you can find on the topic though.

Pretty decent one below

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/24325-guru-guild-wars-vs-guild-wars-2-the-good-the-bad-the-ugly/

July 30, 2012, 10:51:38 AM
Reply #2

Offline arabeth

• Guild Member
  • Level 3 Poster
    • Primary Game

thanks for the link!  yeah, it sounds like GW2 definitely stands out from GW1 in a lot of ways.  having seen more screenshots now, i have to say the art style is still very similar.  and certainly the core mechanics (except where they added jumping) are similar.  but they are certainly taking a different approach with the "world," in that it is less of a small group/solo affair.

here's another link to a blog where a guy talks about his experiences (although it's not a comparison):
http://guildwars2betaweekend.blogspot.nl/

in particular, i liked the July 17 post about how he would just run around a zone and suddenly there was a huge event that people naturally came together for and helped each other.  that sounds really cool.  some people in the other post were concerned about a lack of required grouping, but i think the model has changed:  you are going to group with people, but it will be a lot more informal - which is GREAT.  kill the organization and just get to the gameplay!

we shall see how it all shakes out!