Home Guilds Contact

Author Topic: SWTOR adding Free-to-Play option  (Read 629 times)

July 31, 2012, 07:46:07 PM

Offline Agrim

• Guild Member
  • Level 3 Poster
    • Primary Game

Wow....that didn't take long...

FAQ comparing F2P and subscription options is below.  PCGamer article link below as well.

http://www.swtor.com/FREE/features

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/07/31/star-wars-the-old-republic-going-free-to-play-with-microtransactions-this-fall/

August 01, 2012, 07:33:09 AM
Reply #1

Offline arabeth

• Guild Member
  • Level 3 Poster
    • Primary Game

Yup.  There have been several articles on Gamasutra and the like hinting at this for months.  The only surprise is that they will not have even made it a full year on the subscription model.  Goodbye forever, subscription-based MMOs other than WoW!

So basically this article says:  hey, been thinking of giving this game a try?  Well, no, you haven't, but if you'd like to see it wait a few more months and you'll be able to give it a whirl for free!  Definitely don't try it before then!

The limits of the FtP model include a limited number of flashpoints, warzones, and space missions per week.  What an odd way to limit access to the game.  I understand they want their subscribers to really feel superior, but flashpoints and warzones are part of what makes people play together and form a community.  Limiting that just limits player interaction - which they seem to be after, going for "sheer numbers" at this point.  Curiouser and curiouser.

Edit:  Ooooo, the worst part of FtP in my opinion:  apparently it will limit the number of characters you can have (a la GW).  For people who already have too many, you'll be able to see but not play those characters.  OUCH.  Considering this game is all about building up a stable of alts, that's really killing one of its biggest appeals to me.

Of course, you don't need to hear my thoughts on FtP:  if you are interested in seeing some extremely passionate opinions about the issue, check out the general forums on the SWTOR site today...  Ouch again.  Sure, these people are young and some are barely literate, but they are doing their best to let the world know that they are upset (in their own unique, if somewhat confusing and misguided way).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 09:28:53 AM by arabeth »

December 11, 2012, 12:27:53 PM
Reply #2

Offline Tierant

• Officer
  • Level 4 Poster
    • Primary Game

• Awards A member of the guild who has been around for a very very long time.
Time to necro this thread. ARISE CHICKEN! CHICKEN, ARISE!

So now that I've had a chance to fiddle with the f2p options in TOR, It's not terrible. There's some problems with the restrictions that I have, namely the mail and escrow accounts and the restricted character slots per server. But honestly, those are eh.

The cartel coin shop is kinda funky, it's their Real-money shop. It's like microsoft xbox points - buy a certain number of coins and spend em on whatever you want. If you ever subbed previously, before it went Free to Play you've already got a bonus amount of coins in your ledger. If you ever had a security key, thats more bonus points. If your sub ran out after the F2P option began - more points. So when I logged in, I had about 750 points already without dropping any cash (I understand that people who continue subbing get a monthly balance of 500 points every billing cycle, as well).

The cartel shop is accessible through the UI anywhere. There's some unique armors, weapons and abilities. There's also unlocks to make your free game experience more like a subscribers. The f2p limits the number of quickbars to 4 (used to be 2 but they raised that), so if you want more you'll have to buy them. Also things you can unlock/buy off the top of my head:

Unify colors

Hide helm slot

Be able to wield artifact quality gear from heroic raids

More companions able to craft at the same time (f2p is limited to 2 crafters, subs get 4).

Auction house on your ship

Vendor droid on your ship

More loot rolls in weekly raid/dungeons (f2p is limited in how many times a week you can roll for loot - something i'm not too keen on).

Weekly lockout extenders

etc etc

Also, all the unlocks and items you can buy on the cartel shop are tradeable items, so you can also find them on the Auction House from time to time or in Trade chat. You can also purchase unlocks for your entire account, for an added cost in points.

There's also "booster packs" of items. I'm not too keen on them but I can certainly understand them from a financial point. A group of randomly selected items will be delivered to your inventory, which has a chance of something really rare (Darth Revan's mask!) But since they're also available to be traded on the AH, there's not much need.

So it's not worth the price if you plan on doing lots of dungeons/raiding/pvp. But i'm not. I want to log in, do dailies, up my gear and fiddle with my lightsabers. That's perfect for me. So in spending 35 bucks in game, I'll likely never have to buy any more unlocks. At least until they put the Life Day stuff in. Then I'll have to buy a Wookiee Life Day tree. Because Christmas isn't Christmas unless you can celebrate it Star Wars Holiday Special style (getting drunk and singing christmas carols like Carrie Fisher).

December 11, 2012, 02:35:06 PM
Reply #3

Offline Laz

• Administrator
  • Level 3 Poster
    • Primary Game

• Awards A member with technical expertise.
I logged in to look around the first thing it did was tell me I was moved to another server and the second thing it did was tell me I had to come up with a new name :(

The interface is like 200% better I just don't know anyone lol

March 01, 2013, 10:06:42 AM
Reply #4

Offline Tierant

• Officer
  • Level 4 Poster
    • Primary Game

• Awards A member of the guild who has been around for a very very long time.
call me the thread necromancer.

So I've been playing again in what little sparetime I have. Been on Belsavis, in the new level 50 area, "Section X". Looks huge, packed with mobs so there's little competition on quest kills. Supposedly there's a questline here that will net you your own HK-51 droid. I'm still looking for him.

My other note is that I've hit the 350k free to play credit limit. Every credit I get after this cap goes into an escrow account that I can access when I sub again.
I haven't browsed the Auction Houses yet, but I'm understanding many players will buy expensive crafting mats (like molecular stabilizers) as an investment item, as they resell very well. I'll be trying that out this weekend.

So Runio still exists, on the Ebon Hawk server. Long live the empire (so long as they pay well).