Home Guilds Contact

Author Topic: A new year, and a new win7 install  (Read 910 times)

December 29, 2012, 08:26:54 AM

Offline Marak

• World of Warcraft
  • Guild Master
  • Level 4 Poster
  • Professional Smartass
    • Primary Game

• Awards A member with technical expertise.
I've been having some wierd software issues with win7 for over a year now, and never was really able to find the exact cause. Somewhere, somehow, my java and/or net.framework files really borked up. Complete removal and reinstalls of both never really fixed the problem (all caused by Minecraft. Curse you lego land of doom!)

So yesterday when I tried to upgrade to Kaspersky 2013, I once again got the black screen with a perfectly fine working cursor. No desktop, no explorer... just a black screen, a cursor, and a looong sigh. It was time. Enough duct tape already.

It's the start of a new year, and now my home rig has a clean slate. I wiped the drive, put the EVGA 660ti back in, and started with a fresh install of Win7. Not even bothering to restore a backup from my server, I've had those problems for so long 99% of my backups would have the same underlying unknown disease.

So bear with me for a few days if you see me popping in and out of steam, vent, wow, etc etc... I've got at least a weeks worth of installing to do between games, utilities, proxys and super secret encryption dodads and whatnots.

On the bright side, my bootup time is back to under 30 secs, for now :D
- Marak / Greebo / Cavindra / IzzyTheFool

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die".

December 30, 2012, 07:40:00 AM
Reply #1

Offline Sallias

• Officer
  • Level 2 Poster
    • Primary Game

• Awards A member of the guild who has been around for a very very long time.
Is it Win7 pro 64bit??

Good Luck Old man... We will see you on the other side... Will you look the same or do we need a super secret hand shake or dance to know it is you or not????

December 30, 2012, 01:08:35 PM
Reply #2

Offline Ripvelana

• Guild Member
  • Level 2 Poster
    • Primary Game

Let me know how it goes... I had to rip every Java app off of my laptop, and had to stop using Firefox due to java issues... Chrome seems to run lighter and my laptop doesn't lock up like it used to...
My main in WoW is Ripvelana... Your resident Elevator Boss Tank!

December 30, 2012, 05:14:15 PM
Reply #3

Offline Marak

• World of Warcraft
  • Guild Master
  • Level 4 Poster
  • Professional Smartass
    • Primary Game

It's win7 64 bit. And the install went smooth. I'm about 50% done now, maybe a bit more. Windows is all in an updated. Kaspersky, and all my security settings and such are installed an setup. It took me a bit longer with my proxy and vpn, but now my super secret stealth pirate mode is 100%. Now comes the long task of redownloading and installing all the games and other junk I have.

I'm also happy to report that when I opened my last backup on my homeserver, it was pristine. I was able to grab savegames, all my bookmarks, thunderbirds saved inbox, etc etc. I really made the right call doing a clean install. If I forgot anything important, I can just go open that old backup and get what I want.

One thing I think I will not be installing this go around, is Itunes. That program and the damn quicktime thats tied to it, have become such bloated monsters sticking their fingers into everything.
- Marak / Greebo / Cavindra / IzzyTheFool

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die".

December 31, 2012, 08:21:07 AM
Reply #4

Offline Laz

• Administrator
  • Level 3 Poster
    • Primary Game

yeah Itunes is a pain in the ass, almost as bad as Norton these days. I think the 'I' stands for Invasive.

December 31, 2012, 06:06:10 PM
Reply #5

Offline Gailen

• Officer
  • Level 1 Poster
  • I shall rule the world, whatever is left of it.
    • Primary Game

Been using Windows 7 64bit same installation on 3 of my computers for last 2+ years.  Been using Microsoft Essentials and Spybot sucessfully for a long time.  Had a few close calls from some sites but haven't had to reinstall for some time. 

Once you get all your baseline software up and going, make an image of it.  I use image restores on a lot of other developement systems.

January 14, 2019, 06:50:31 PM
Reply #6

Offline Warnerbuita

• Level 1 Poster
    • Primary Game

iPad or iPhone, its all the same. I use both.

Please go into the iOS DropBox app on your iPad and confirm you can see your Scrivener files in the AppsScrivener path.

Are you on iOS 10 or 11?