Home Guilds Contact

Author Topic: Marak's New Rig (2013)  (Read 1411 times)

February 22, 2013, 12:01:55 PM

Offline Marak

• World of Warcraft
  • Guild Master
  • Level 4 Poster
  • Professional Smartass
    • Primary Game

• Awards A member with technical expertise.
If you've been on WoW within the last week, you know I've been having some serious problems with my current home rig. Right now, the motherboard PCI slot is highly suspect, and yet the problems still only affect a few games. Naturally, they are the ones I want to play the most. I still haven't ruled out every software issue...  But I've decided to jump the shark anyway. Since Intel socket LGA 1366 is offically discontinued as of last year, and it will be a pain to find a new motherboard for my i7 950 CPU, I'm building a new rig next month.

Here are the preliminary parts list. Subject to change as I continue to research and price parts.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930k Six-Core, 3.2-3.8Ghz TB, LGA 2011, 12MB L3 Cache
MOBO: Asus P9X79 WS, LGA2011 Intel X79, DDR3-2400
Ram: Corsair 32GB (8 x 4GB) Vengeance PC3-15000 DDR3
Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro CPU LCS LGA2011
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 680 SC Signature 2GB GDDR5
Case: Coolermaster Cosmos II
PSU: Coolermaster Silent Pro Hybrid 1050W
HDD: Samsung 840 Pro SSD
HDD2: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive(s): Plextor PX-891SA-28

Any thoughts?

Once this is built, I'm gonig to have this current computer sitting around doing nothing. I am still considering looking for an older out of production MB, slapping the GTX 660ti in, and seeing if it works. Or, I could just part it out. Haven't decided yet.  :(
- Marak / Greebo / Cavindra / IzzyTheFool

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die".

February 22, 2013, 05:44:16 PM
Reply #1

Offline Agrim

• Guild Member
  • Level 3 Poster
    • Primary Game

Looks nice.  Would love to get your thoughts on the Corsair cooling system once you get it up and running.  I am in the market.

No blu ray on this rig?  I don't use mine a ton, but I like having the option.

February 22, 2013, 05:53:22 PM
Reply #2

Offline Tierant

• Officer
  • Level 4 Poster
    • Primary Game

• Awards A member of the guild who has been around for a very very long time.
I did hear on reddit that an nvidia driver update screwed with some wow players. I didn't have a chance to read it though. it was in /r/wow. Here it is: http://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/190lf5/psa_recent_nvidia_driver_31407_seems_to_crash_wow/

It's probably your mobo like you said, but no stone unturned, etc. Otherwise, the new build looks solid.

February 22, 2013, 10:42:12 PM
Reply #3

Offline Marak

• World of Warcraft
  • Guild Master
  • Level 4 Poster
  • Professional Smartass
    • Primary Game

I have a blue ray burner in this puter, and I have never used it yet. If It turns out someday I need one, I'll keep it handy for that day. Otherwise I see no need to shell out money for a new one. (I have the ability and willingness to copy blu-ray movies like I do DVD's, but the blank media is as expensive as the damn legit movies!)

As for the Coolermaser H80i.. I'm torn between that and the H100. The H80i has overall better ratings. But the Tim Taylor in me wants moar power.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die".

February 23, 2013, 10:59:09 AM
Reply #4

Offline Laz

• Administrator
  • Level 3 Poster
    • Primary Game

I would differ on my choice of case slightly Cooler Master HAF X

Case is centralized more around builds for high performance graphics cards with some features like venting specific for cooling the cards themselves.

Have a look

February 23, 2013, 06:29:03 PM
Reply #5

Offline Marak

• World of Warcraft
  • Guild Master
  • Level 4 Poster
  • Professional Smartass
    • Primary Game

I would differ on my choice of case slightly Cooler Master HAF X

I have the Scout HAF case for my homeserver. I prefer the Cosmos I & II for main rigs, because it pulls it's air from under the case, instead of the front. If you look the Cosmos cases are raised up on bars, so there is about 2 fingers width of empty space under them. That's where they pull their air from. The HAF cases pull from the front, and because of that, the front is ALWAYS collecting dust. I have to wipe the front mesh of the case weekly or it starts to build up. Also, the direct in from the bottom, out through the top airflow of the Cosmos is superior in my opinion. I also prefer the Cosmos for wire routing.  :D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 06:31:51 PM by Marak »

February 28, 2013, 12:59:49 PM
Reply #6

Offline Marak

• World of Warcraft
  • Guild Master
  • Level 4 Poster
  • Professional Smartass
    • Primary Game

So I made a few changes, thanks to the help of AVAdirect.com

I like to use their build your own PC tools to get an idea of the price range and find any possible incompatibilites. I made a few changes to the initial build. Here is their price quote:

PRODUCT(S)
QTY: 1
TOTAL: $3450.14

•INTEL, Core i7-3930K Six-Core, 3.2 - 3.8GHz TB, LGA2011, 12MB L3 Cache, HT EM64T EIST VT XD, 32nm, 130W, Retail w/o Fan

•CORSAIR, H100 Hydro CPU Liquid Cooling System, Socket LGA2011/1155/1156/1366/775/AM3/AM2, Retail

•COOLER MASTER, ThermalFusion 400 Thermal Compound, Electrically Non-Conductive

•SERVICE, Mild Overclocking, 10-20% Performance Increase

•EVGA, X79 FTW, LGA2011, Intel® X79, DDR3-2133 32GB /4, PCIe x16 SLI CF /2+3*, SATA 3Gb/s RAID 5 /6, 6Gb/s /2, USB 3.0 /10, HDA, GbLAN /2, FW, ATX* (305 mm x 264 mm), Retail

•CORSAIR, 32GB (8 x 4GB) Vengeance™ Black PC3-15000 DDR3 1866MHz CL9 (9-10-9-27) 1.5V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC

•EVGA, GeForce® GTX 680 FTW 1058MHz, 4GB GDDR5 6008MHz, PCIe x16 SLI, 2x DVI + HDMI + DP, OEM

•SAMSUNG, 500GB 840 Series SSD, TLC Samsung MDX, 530/330 MB/s, 2.5-Inch, 7mm, SATA 6 Gb/s, Retail

•WESTERN DIGITAL, 2TB WD Caviar® Black™ (WD2002FAEX), SATA 6 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 64MB Cache

•RAID, No RAID, Independent HDD Drives

•PLEXTOR, PX-891SA-28 Black 24x DVD±R/RW Dual-Layer Burner, SATA, w/ Software, OEM

•PLEXTOR, PX-891SA-28 Black 24x DVD±R/RW Dual-Layer Burner, SATA, w/ Software, OEM

•COOLER MASTER, Cosmos II (RC-1200-KKN1) Black Tower Case, EATX, 10 slots, No PSU, Aluminum

•CUSTOM WIRING, Standard Wiring with Precision Cable Routing and Tie-Down

•CORSAIR, Professional Series™ HX1050 1050W Power Supply w/ Modular Cables, 80 PLUS® Silver, 24-pin ATX12V 2.2 2x EPS12V 2.91, 6x 8/6-pin PCIe, Retail

•MICROSOFT, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition w/ SP1, OEM

•WARRANTY, Silver Warranty Package (3 Year Limited Parts, 3 Year Labor Warranty)

So, this looks to be the final build. I switched from the Coolermaster H80i to the H100, and from the Asus P9X79 WS to the EVGA X79 FTW. One thing I did notice (as a blunder on their site), is the EVGA motherboard only has 4 ram slots. So the Corsair ram kit will be the 4x8 stick set, not the 8x4 stick set. Everything else looks good.

I need to do a little research on Win7 home vs Pro on the ram. I heard an ugly rumor that Win7 home does not support ram past 16gigs, and I'd have to get Win7 Pro. Not a big deal, but something I need to know beforehand. (shrug)

All in all, I'm confident I bring this build in, as above, for under 3k. I'll start posting prices and sales this week.  :D

February 28, 2013, 07:06:30 PM
Reply #7

Offline Sallias

• Officer
  • Level 2 Poster
    • Primary Game

• Awards A member of the guild who has been around for a very very long time.
What No Joy Stick?????

March 01, 2013, 05:56:22 AM
Reply #8

Offline Marak

• World of Warcraft
  • Guild Master
  • Level 4 Poster
  • Professional Smartass
    • Primary Game

What No Joy Stick?????

:P

In other news, anyone have a monitor they'd like to suggest? I was looking at the Asus PA238Q, but it's not really ringing the bells yet.

March 01, 2013, 09:47:33 AM
Reply #9

Offline Laz

• Administrator
  • Level 3 Poster
    • Primary Game

:P

In other news, anyone have a monitor they'd like to suggest? I was looking at the Asus PA238Q, but it's not really ringing the bells yet.

Just one monitor? 

March 05, 2013, 01:53:07 PM
Reply #10

Offline Marak

• World of Warcraft
  • Guild Master
  • Level 4 Poster
  • Professional Smartass
    • Primary Game

Yes, just one monitor. I need to replace the main monitor that seems to be causing all the problems with incorrect refresh rate reporting.

This is the one I'm looking at right now. It's a little over my budget. :/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009C3M7H0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

April 18, 2013, 07:36:47 AM
Reply #11

Offline Marak

• World of Warcraft
  • Guild Master
  • Level 4 Poster
  • Professional Smartass
    • Primary Game

Marak's new rig is...  Built! In fact I'm typing on it right now. I shall upload pictures soon. There was only one change, I went for a different motherboard. I picked the Asus P9X79 Deluxe over the EVGA.

Hardware build was finished Sunday, and all the critical software and drivers were in by Monday night. The past 3 days have been pretty much downloading games and setting up my VPN and proxy, etc, etc.

It's... beautiful. (a single tear).

April 18, 2013, 04:30:45 PM
Reply #12

Offline Gailen

• Officer
  • Level 1 Poster
  • I shall rule the world, whatever is left of it.
    • Primary Game

They usually are a thing of beauty, until the next build.

April 19, 2013, 08:30:54 AM
Reply #13

Offline Marak

• World of Warcraft
  • Guild Master
  • Level 4 Poster
  • Professional Smartass
    • Primary Game

Don't take this away from me Gailen, it's all I have  :D