Home Guilds Contact

Author Topic: Old Friends & a New Game  (Read 6159 times)

June 13, 2014, 09:33:14 AM
Reply #15

Offline Hobs

• Guild Member
  • Level 2 Poster
    • Primary Game

Grr...I missed the latest crafting "vlog":

6. More Info on Crafting
https://goblinworks.com/blog/more-info-on-the-crafting-system/

June 13, 2014, 03:00:00 PM
Reply #16

Offline Marak

• World of Warcraft
  • Guild Master
  • Level 4 Poster
  • Professional Smartass
    • Primary Game

• Awards A member with technical expertise.
What else can I do for you to understand this game better?

So I've been reading alot, and for the most part understand the basic mechanics of how things are supposed to work in the game. With a few exceptions.

Lets talk about settlements for a moment.

I'm still having a bit of a hard time finding specific information on how multiple guilds interact within a single settlement. For instance, Pax Golgatha was the one a few of us are interested in. Golgatha will be the owner/ruler of this settlement. But in our conversation on vent, you said there would be multiple guilds living there, including a few that are just setup to run and manage the city. I think this is the part that confuses me. Is Pax Golgatha a guild, or an alliance of guilds.

What I really want to know is, what exactly are we looking at politics wise in this settlement. Will we be expected to form a guild, or join an existing one? What limitations will this settlement put on our play, I'm certain somewhere the alignment system comes into effect. Will the settlement itself be organized like an alliance in EVE, or will each corp/guild be free to do their own thing.

These are the things I'm curious about, the actual game information is solid. I want to know a bit more about the player driven content.  ;D

Also, I'll be the first to say that I'll be dropping 100.00 into this come July. I need to save my pennies for the Steam sale first, but after that... 
- Marak / Greebo / Cavindra / IzzyTheFool

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die".

June 13, 2014, 04:48:51 PM
Reply #17

Offline Jazrael

• Rift Runners
  • Officer
  • Level 3 Poster
    • Primary Game

• Awards This title is earned by people who have done their part to further create and enhance the lore of the game for themselves and other players as well. Often in the forms of Roleplaying or Writing Fiction.
Teamspeak...  that's so 10 years ago *teases* 

June 13, 2014, 05:38:24 PM
Reply #18

Offline Hobs

• Guild Member
  • Level 2 Poster
    • Primary Game

First...ICQ is so 10 years ago.  :P  (well, maybe 15...)

Marek,

I would really like to get you on Team Speak with our Golgothan officers, but for the sake of your other members:

"I'm still having a bit of a hard time finding specific information on how multiple guilds interact within a single settlement. For instance, Pax Golgatha was the one a few of us are interested in. Golgatha will be the owner/ruler of this settlement. But in our conversation on vent, you said there would be multiple guilds living there, including a few that are just setup to run and manage the city. I think this is the part that confuses me. Is Pax Golgatha a guild, or an alliance of guilds."

I think I may have not been clear on the "multiple Guilds" part living in Golgotha. Let me number these off...

1. Golgotha is both the name of the settlement and the Leading "guild".  The term "guild" as we are used to in other games doesn't really apply to PFO.  You have "Chartered Companies" (CC) with a soft (not totally pinned down yet) cap of 50 or so members.  Charter Companies join settlements, so you can have multiple CCs in a settlement.  Thus, Golgotha as a settlement, has multiple CCs...some will be straight forward, large scale warfare army, some are going to be assassins and guerrilla warfare, etc.  We can invite other CCs into the settlement, and depending on how much they wish to contribute in time and effort for the settlement, their CC leadership can have a say in the lower advisory council of the settlement, or a seat on the higher governing council.  As little or as much involvement as they wish, depending on their members' interest.  All of this council business is strictly player created - the game provided mechanics of actually running a settlement are still vague (I can get you the blogs).

2. Your group could toss in with an existing CC that you like or start working on building your own if it had a more original theme.  For instance, I don't think Golgotha has a mercenary CC at present, whether for hired contracts or protecting its trade/caravans/harvesting operations, etc.

3. Currently, all Golgothan CCs are original Golgothan "guild" members.  There is even a way to be free agents that call Golgotha home, but they have very limited rights as citizens, access to info-sec/intelligence/etc.

"What I really want to know is, what exactly are we looking at politics wise in this settlement. Will we be expected to form a guild, or join an existing one? What limitations will this settlement put on our play, I'm certain somewhere the alignment system comes into effect. Will the settlement itself be organized like an alliance in EVE, or will each corp/guild be free to do their own thing."

1. As stated above, you could either toss in with an existing CC or try forming your own.  For example, one of our latest recruits is a Shadowclan member and we're talking about having him create a Half-Orc CC in Golgotha.

2. What do you mean by "limitation on your play"?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 05:42:51 PM by Hobs »

June 13, 2014, 06:40:39 PM
Reply #19

Offline TheSnork

• Officer
  • Level 3 Poster
  • Sponges... I needs em!
    • Primary Game

• Awards A member of the guild who has been around for a very very long time.

3. Currently, all Golgothan CCs are original Golgothan "guild" members.  There is even a way to be free agents that call Golgotha home, but they have very limited rights as citizens, access to info-sec/intelligence/etc.

So we'd be serving under a guild of shit demons? ( so sorry I had to :) )

It could just be me that I've missed it because theres just a ton of info to digest, but will there be ingame DMs? Kinda like you were back in UO or will there just be player created things(if that what I'm reading correctly) and RPing?

That will be the big draw for me not lookin for another game that has RP servers and you just don't get it. WoW had it for a bit then it just seems to disappear I know the guild still does things in game but the game itself lost its flavor for me a long time ago. I've tried other games: WaR, Conan, SWtOR, and ESO which all lost their juice. I'm pretty much just waiting for my subs to expire so I can justify removing them from my comp. I'm desperate for some good player interaction other than just beating up mobs and people, I've gone as far as skyping a few friends who live out in vegas for some table top D&D action but they don't play that often.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 06:54:25 PM by TheSnork »

June 13, 2014, 07:26:03 PM
Reply #20

Offline Jazrael

• Rift Runners
  • Officer
  • Level 3 Poster
    • Primary Game

• Awards This title is earned by people who have done their part to further create and enhance the lore of the game for themselves and other players as well. Often in the forms of Roleplaying or Writing Fiction.
oh Snorky...  *chuckles*

Golgotha means "the skull" 

I don't think they picked the guild name for the "demon of poo"  meaning...   

June 13, 2014, 07:27:28 PM
Reply #21

Offline TheSnork

• Officer
  • Level 3 Poster
  • Sponges... I needs em!
    • Primary Game

Dogma has been on this week I couldn't help it  ;D

June 13, 2014, 07:27:49 PM
Reply #22

Offline Hobs

• Guild Member
  • Level 2 Poster
    • Primary Game

TheSnork,

As someone who used to manage that kind of player generated, content, I feel your pain,  I've been waiting since UO to find another game that has both the right players, and the right game mechanics/environment to allow us to make our own fun.

Given its root in Pathfinder table top, PFO will likely have more of those kinds of players.  As for Seer-run activities, Golin Works has several things in the works.  One of the benefits provided Alpha backers is the ability to play monsters for Dev sponsored activities.  what those activities are and how often they will happen, I'm not sure.  I'll try to get you a link where they mentioned it.  I do recall something about possible game generated story-arcs and the like.

Given its smaller scale, single server, and niche market, Goblin Works is making a huge effort to connect with its community, so though there might not be as much game provided RP content as GM backed Seers used to produce in UO, they do seem very interested in keeping contact with us, listening to our input, using their Crowd Forging structure to gather our opinions on given plans, etc.  Not only have Devs and the CEO chimed in on various forum discussions to add clarity of correct misconceptions, but we at Pax Gaming have had two different instances where Devs from Goblin Works have run podcats with us.  This is something you might see MMRPG or Ten Ton Hammer Catch (or at least an interview), but these have been 40-50 minute podacast Q&As...and we're just one group of PFO customers. 

Here's the latest one...has great info about how settlements will be working: http://www.gobbocast.com/

So can I promise it will be just like old UO, no.  Will there people pushing to regain our old UO community fun...you bet...if I have anything to do about it.  :)  And based on my experience, all it takes is a handful of committed people getting the ball rolling.  I'm closely networked with 5 settlements currently.  They all would love to do some player created, spontaneous RP plot interaction, and they cover the alignment scale from LG paladins to CH Bandits to Le Golgotha.

And I loved Dogma...all accept the s&#@* demon part.  :)

June 13, 2014, 07:33:37 PM
Reply #23

Offline Hobs

• Guild Member
  • Level 2 Poster
    • Primary Game

For a better idea of Golgotha (not the poop demon), here is our new introduction letter we're using in recruitment:

Greetings from Golgotha,

The settlement of Golgotha is the premier Evil group in the current Pathfinder Online community, and we are interested in talking to you about securing your rightful place at our side. Golgotha is dedicated to becoming the strongest military force in the River Kingdoms. Working towards that goal, we need as many like-minded people as we can get. Our vision of a strong mountain home, spreading its influence across the lands, may be a grand one, but with the ambition and drive of people like you, we believe that it is well within our reach. Through the quality of our soldiers, the skill of our crafters and the overwhelming power of our magic, we intend to crush any resistance to Golgothan dominance. Join us, and together we will carve our legacy of indomitable strength into the very map of the River Kingdoms.

We believe that your company...blah blah blah...this is where we put the part in to personalize the message.  For you guys...hmm...you play evil really well and you kick ass in PvP...and Jaz will bake us cookies?

By joining Golgotha, you will become part of the greatest PvP fighting force in Pathfinder Online. You will find safety within our walls, protected lands where your members can freely explore and gather, and the potential for contracting your own Points of Interest. Our citizens will enjoy regular and varied possibilities for meaningful PvP, though participation will be voluntary. Of course, in the most dire of circumstances, such as settlement-wide war, every member will be called to service, each according to their skills.

When joining Golgotha, you will decide your degree of responsibility. You may be granted a seat in the Low Council, an advisory group that puts forward motions to be voted on, or with greater dedication and involvement, you may receive a seat on the High Council, the actual voting body of Golgotha. Whether you hunger for PvP, live for crafting, trading, gathering or PvE, Golgotha embraces your passion. And though we stand as a united power, have no fear for the loss of your identity. You will retain complete autonomy over your self-governance and recruitment, though you will be required to follow Golgothan laws.

We look forward to hearing from you. We are certain that we can strike a mutually beneficial deal that favours everyone involved.

June 13, 2014, 07:42:50 PM
Reply #24

Offline Jazrael

• Rift Runners
  • Officer
  • Level 3 Poster
    • Primary Game

"you play evil really well and you kick ass in PvP...and Jaz will bake us cookies?"

*laughs*  yeah..  I play evil really well.. kick ass in pvp.. bake cookies with dragon fire.. and have been known to make grown men eat their vegetables..   

June 13, 2014, 07:44:34 PM
Reply #25

Offline TheSnork

• Officer
  • Level 3 Poster
  • Sponges... I needs em!
    • Primary Game

"you play evil really well and you kick ass in PvP...and Jaz will bake us cookies?"

*laughs*  yeah..  I play evil really well.. kick ass in pvp.. bake cookies with dragon fire.. and have been known to make grown men eat their vegetables..

*shudders*

June 13, 2014, 09:03:21 PM
Reply #26

Offline Hobs

• Guild Member
  • Level 2 Poster
    • Primary Game

I forgot...add to Goblin Work's attempts to connect with their customers the fact that their newly hired community manager has been to every top 40 guild website since she started a week ago.

She's posted on Pax's 3-4 times already.

June 13, 2014, 11:43:56 PM
Reply #27

Offline Marak

• World of Warcraft
  • Guild Master
  • Level 4 Poster
  • Professional Smartass
    • Primary Game

• Awards A member with technical expertise.
He cookies taste like broccoli.  :P
- Marak / Greebo / Cavindra / IzzyTheFool

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die".

June 14, 2014, 04:21:51 AM
Reply #28

Offline Hobs

• Guild Member
  • Level 2 Poster
    • Primary Game

Great...I leave all that info as answer to his question and what does Marek reply with?  A crack about her cookies.  I feel so...unloved... :'(

June 14, 2014, 05:18:12 AM
Reply #29

Offline Hobs

• Guild Member
  • Level 2 Poster
    • Primary Game

More answers to Marek's questions:

1. As of now, characters can have membership in up to three (3) separate Charter Companies, but only one of those can be attached to a settlement.  In this way, you can be connected to multiple groups depending on your playing interests, but only have "loyalty" and the benefits of membership to one settlement.  If you are not connected to a player settlement, you will default back to one of the starter towns.  You always have to have connection to some settlement/starter town.

2. As we get ready to roll out our new Empire of Xeilias website (and disconnect it from pax Gaming so that new Empire settlements don't feel obligated to be a part of Pax Gaming), our Golgothan CCs now have their preliminary CC descriptions.  I'm going to post them here for your benefit, but remember they are still in rough draft form.  Remember also, we have ways for new CCs to join...Sponsored Charter Companies (more responsibility/benefit with Golgotha) and Private Charter Companies (less responsibility/benefit) so it is totally possible to start your own instead of folding into an existing CC.